ONE OF THE MOST FAMOUS RECIPES OF THE BASQUE COUNTRY: CHIPIRONS A LA LUZIENNE
A few days ago, one of my friends asked me the recipe of the grilled squids.
As an Indian living in the USA, he's familiar with the fried squids and needs a change. I can easily understand as this Spanish recipe is quite greasy. Even if it's a delicious starter, it's not the best way to feel the flavour of the squids.
In the Basque country, as I told you in my complete guide to the best basque food, we are lucky to have a lot of fresh natural products. We enjoy a lot to eat it in a way that reveals and enhance the taste of our main ingredient.
Saran actually wanted the recipe of "chipirons à la Luzienne" we eat with tomatoes and rice. I also gave him some ways to quickly cook some delicious grilled squids "à la plancha".
This is the traditional recipe of the grilled squids, "chipirons à la Luzienne", the basque Chefs follow.
For 4 persons:
- 20 squids
- 2 onions
- 1 garlic
- 1 kilo of peeled and seeded tomatoes
- 3 peppers (red is better)
- olive oil
- salt and chilly
Tip: Ask your fish seller to prepare the squids for you.
THE RECIPE OF THE GRILLED SQUIDS - CHIPIRONS A LA LUZIENNE
- Put 4/5 tablespoon of olive oil in an earthen dish.
- Heat up softly, put the squids' slices and tentacles and continue for 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut the onions and brown it with a bit of oil in a frying pan. Add the tomatoes and peppers you have cut in cubes, the minced garlic, the salt, the chilly (put a bit of sugar on the tomatoes). Heat up for 35 minutes then use the food mill to prepare the sauce. Put it on the squids. Heat up softly again for 2 hours.
- Before serving, heat up a glass of cognac, blaze it and put it in the sauce.
Serve very hot with plain rice.
I don't know for you, but now I'm very hungry and would like to run to Capbreton harbour to buy the squids of the day!
What about you? Will you try this delicious recipe at home or in a Basque restaurant?
Which Basque recipe would you like to get?
READY TO VISIT FRANCE NOW?
I'll be happy to help you planning your trip, guide you or simply host you
I hope you enjoyed your reading. Do you have any suggestion to make this content even better? Which kind of content will help you to prepare your next trip to France? Use the comments below or the contact form to tell me!
Share this article with your family or friends planning their next trip to the South of France or fond of gastronomy.